Peshawar: May 30: A standardized BS degree program for all the affiliated institutes of Khyber Pakhunkhwa Universities has been urged in a high level meeting chaired by Vice Chancellor University of Peshawar Prof. Dr. Azmat Hayat Khan on Friday. The meeting decided not to compromise on the assessment criteria already agreed upon with the affiliated institutes of University of Peshawar while grating them affiliations for BS degree program in April this year.
Assistant Registrar Affiliations Gohar Rehman while giving details said that the BS degree program has started in September last year in three of the affiliated colleges of University of Peshawar and they applied to the University for Affiliation in the BS program in February end and March 2011, after which they were granted affiliation by the University on 21 st March, 2011. Consequently Affiliation letters to the colleges have also been issued to all three colleges in the first week of April, 2011. He said that affiliation has been granted in BS program semester system under 40:60 ratio as agreed in the earlier meetings held between officials of the University of Peshawar and Higher Education Department, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
He said that under the agreed upon mechanism 40% assessment in each subject will be carried out by the respective teacher of the college while the remaining 60% assessment will be carried out by the University of Peshawar. However, later on in deviance from the earlier agreed mechanism, a demand for 100% assessment in all the subjects to the concerned teachers of the affiliated colleges was put forth, which meant that the University of Peshawar shall have zero percent role in the assessment of the students to which it is awarding the degree.
The meeting unanimously decided that such a demand being contradictory to the earlier agreed mechanism of 40:60 is not acceptable. Even otherwise such a demand does not justify to be considered on merit as the University (and for that matter any institution) cannot award/confer degrees based on the assessment carried on by some other institution.
Deputy Controller of Examination Yorid Ahmed Zia said that in this reference a meeting with KP Higher Education Minister Qazi Asad was held in the month of May and he was of the view that since University of Peshawar is the degree awarding institute and should do most of the evaluation which in his view could be up to 100%.
Controller Examination Iftikhar Hussian said that University of Peshawar degree is recognized world wide. He quoted the example of University of Punjab where the ratio of evaluation for BS degree program is 80:20, in which 80% evaluation is done by the concerned University and 20% by the affiliated institute.
The meeting hoped that no delay in the shortly due first examination for the BS students at affiliated institutes be done by the colleges and requested the colleges to facilitate the parent institute in its successful completion.
In order to standardize the modalities of BS program for all the public sector Universities in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa a meeting of the Universities Registrars and Controller Examinations is going to be held on May 31 st 2011.