Author Topic: Beaconhouse National University students display work  (Read 1724 times)

Offline iram

• Editorial board
  • My Points +16/-3
Beaconhouse National University students display work
« on: May 19, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »
Beaconhouse National University students display work

Lahore: Eleven students of the Beaconhouse National University (BNU)'s postgraduate diploma in arts displayed their work at the Alhamra Arts Council on Saturday.

The students have expressed their vision of art in contemporary fashion. The work is an amalgam of texture and design. Sculptures made by a Nepali student, Sanjana Joshi, attracted art enthusiasts. She has used animal skin for her sculptures.

She said, "The diverse sight of various means of transportation in Lahore reminds me of cultural complexity. My work includes covering, hiding, layering, dressing and peeling. Animal skins play an important role in my work."

Ayesha Sultana's work marks symbol patterns as a visual reference from unceasing mobile culture like gas stations. She said, "These are standardised buildings whose very existence is generated by vehicles that have become an integral part of our surroundings," she said.

The artists have experimented with new patterns of art. The work is not traditional, yet interesting.

Maureen Korp, a BNU teacher, said the work was not 'flat' as it dealt with several themes and patterns. She said the work was not about bringing peace between two countries, but it could help bring people closer. She praised the work for its richness and depth.

BNU School of Visual Arts Dean Saleema Hashmi said, "The BNU started postgraduate diploma in art education in 2007 to equip young artists with skills. Our young teachers deserve not only to realise their potential, but to help others grow under their aegis."

The exhibition will continue till May 21.
 Daily Times