Author Topic: Students commemorate ‘I Have a Dream’ at US Consulate  (Read 687 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Students commemorate ‘I Have a Dream’ at US Consulate
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
Students commemorate ‘I Have a Dream’ at US Consulate
Karachi : August 27: Students from Karachi joined virtually thousands of students from around the world to watch a documentary about the 1963 civil rights march on Washington.
The screening, hosted at the US Consulate General in Karachi, commemorated the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs & Freedom.
The civil rights march, held on August 28, 1963, featured the historic ‘I Have a Dream’ speech of Martin Luther King, Jr on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. The speech had energised the civil rights struggle in the US.
“Dr Martin Luther King, Jr called the [Great] March on Washington ‘the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation’,” said Consul General Michael Dodman.

“We are happy to have Pakistani young people with us today to commemorate this important event and to reflect on the values of freedom and equality championed by Dr King and the American civil rights movement.”

The documentary screening was part of a global viewing party presented from Washington by John Robinson, Director of the Office of Civil Rights at the US Department of State, and Courtland Cox, March on Washington organiser and civil rights activist.

Following the opening remarks and presentation of the documentary ‘The March’, the organisers conducted a virtual discussion with Washington, DC-based civil rights experts who answered questions and comments submitted online. The news.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"