Author Topic: Karachi University student's tragic death spurs safety measures  (Read 1438 times)

Offline AKBAR

• Editorial board
  • My Points +1/-1
    • pak study
Karachi University student's tragic death spurs safety measures
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
Karachi University student's tragic death spurs safety measures

Karachi, Feb 10: The tragic death of Anum Zehra, a third year student of BS in the department of Economics, University of Karachi (KU) has left students and teachers traumatised and raised questions about the safety and security of students who flock to the university in thousands.

KU Vice Chancellor, Prof. Pirzada Qasim, expressed his anguish at the death of the student who was described as lively and conscientious. Replying to a question about the steps taken by the university to prevent such accidents in future, Prof. Qasim said that large road signs of 'Academic Zone, Slow Down' will be erected from NED University of Engineering & Technology to Sheikh Zayed Islamic Centre to inform motorists to apply caution while driving. Speed breakers that conform to international standards will also be constructed and cat eyes will be placed on both sides of the road. "We will also install more flood lights between gate 1 (Silver Jubilee) and gate 2 (Staff Town) to ensure that students can cross roads with greater ease," he added.

According to Prof. Qasim, Gulshan Town Nazim Muhammad Wasay Jalil has promised to build two pedestrian bridges, one each in front of NED University as well as in front of gate 1 of the KU. "I have arranged the patrolling of City Wardens (formerly Community Police) between gates 1 and 2 to check for traffic violation from vehicles traveling on University Road. I have also written to the traffic police to be there at peak hours, and they are complying. I have visited the family of Anum Zehra to condole her death. I have seen to it that the driver gets the punishment he deserves, and no one tries to get him acquitted before justice is served," the VC elaborated.

Gulshan Town Nazim, Muhammad Wasay Jalil, confirmed that he has planned and proposed various projects to streamline traffic flow on University Road, particularly from Samama Centre to Sheikh Zayed Islamic Centre, to prevent the occurrence of such fatal accidents in future. "I had proposed that a pedestrian bridge which was unutilised could be erected in front of Gate 1, but later it appeared that the bridge was to be used in front of Mashriq Centre near Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) building, so I dropped the idea. But now I have arranged the construction of three pedestrian bridges that will be erected in front of NED and Gates 1 and 2 of the KU. The preference will be gate 1 (Silver Jubilee gate)", Jalil explained.

Furthermore, Jalil said, new signboards claiming 'Academic Zone, Slow Down' will be erected from February 9, and Flasher Sign Bulbs (first of its kind in Pakistan) will also be installed on the stretch of road between NED and KU. "I am optimistic and expect to see pedestrian bridges (on three points) by the end of March. We will also introduce 'Restricted Movement Area' alongside the two universities, containing Iron grills that will discourage students from crossing the road from different places. The Zebra Crossings will be there to be used by the students till the bridges are built", he elaborated.

KU Student Adviser, Dr Tanweer Khalid, while expressing her profound sense of grief on the death of Anum Zehra, hoped that new traffic arrangements on the University Road will prevent such accidents in the future. "I have not seen any steps to prevent such accidents (as of Feb 6) and I intend to see the VC to know what happened to the plans that were to take shape", she said. Dr Khalid revealed that she had plans to provide insurance cover to all the KU students. "I have talked to an Insurance company but their premium is high, unaffordable to most of the students, so I intend to talk to them (the insurance company) to reduce the premium. The insurance will have health, accident and fire coverage with easy to get compensation."

Campus Security Adviser, Dr Khalid Iraqi, was prompt to point out that the deceased Anum Zehra was sitting at the KU bus stop when the rashly driven vehicle trampled her. "Internally, we have made arrangements to avoid such fatalities in the future but the University Road is the domain of CDGK and Traffic Police. I have written a letter, followed by a reminder, to the DIG (Traffic), to arrange permanent presence of traffic personnel at the KU gates. I have also allowed the students (or their parents) of evening programme to bring their vehicles inside the campus to avoid overcrowding and safety problems outside. This would allow parents to drop their wards well inside thus avoiding crossing the roads", Dr Iraqi stated. The News