Author Topic: Karachi Class IX students in dilemma, still unsure for chemistry and biology pap  (Read 2033 times)

Offline iram

• Editorial board
  • My Points +16/-3
Class 9 annual examinations disturbing facts
Karachi Class IX students in dilemma, still unsure for chemistry and biology papers

Karachi, Jan 21: Thousands of Class IX students whose annual examinations are just two months away are still unsure whether the Board of Secondary Education Karachi will include questions in their chemistry and biology papers from book-II of both the subjects or not.

The most disturbing fact for the students is that in case the board decides to include 50 per cent questions in papers from chemistry's book-II and the biology's book-II, then most students would not be able to solve the questions because books-II of both the subjects have not yet been taught in many schools.

Inquiries made in this regard showed that though books-I of both the subjects were being taught in almost all schools since the beginning of the current academic session, teachers of chemistry and biology in many schools had not started teaching book-II on the assumption that the board would not include a single question from the contents of book-II in the forthcoming annual examinations.

Though the board's model papers of chemistry and biology, which were provided to schools sometime back, had initially suggested that the papers of both the subjects in the Secondary School Certificate (Class IX) annual exams-2009 would carry 50 per cent questions each from book-I and book-II, a final decision by the board in this regard is still awaited.

Meanwhile, a number of heads of secondary schools have been reportedly informed by the board officials that a final decision regarding the matter will be taken at the board' s meeting scheduled to be held in a week.

However, they are said to be worried that in case the board decides to include questions from book-II of both subjects in the next exams, it would not be possible for teachers to cover entire book-II of both the subjects in the remaining four to five weeks, nor the students would be able to comprehend the contents of both books in the limited time available to them now.