Author Topic: Punjab University abolishes aggregate marking system at BA/BSc and MA/MSc level  (Read 8693 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Punjab University abolishes aggregate marking system at BA/BSc and MA/MSc level 

LAHORE:The Punjab University (PU) has abolished compulsory aggregate system of marking at BA/BSc and MA/MSc level examinations besides introducing supplementary examination at MA/MSc level.

According to a press statement, the decisions were taken by the PU Academic Council in a meeting chaired by Vice Chancellor Prof Dr Mujahid Kamran on Thursday. These decisions will be implemented from annual examination 2009.

After the abolishing of aggregate of 45 per cent marks in MA/MSc Part-I and Part-II exams, the students would be required to obtain 40 marks in individual paper to pass without any aggregate.

The Academic Council also decided to start supplementary examinations at MA/MSc level in order to save time of the candidates who failed in one or two papers.

The meeting also decided to revert to the annual system in MA/MSc at PU except those departments, which wish to continue semester system and they have the required setup, facilities and faculty in this regard.

The meeting also approved syllabi and courses of reading of various disciplines and approved the recommendations of Controller Examinations regarding elimination of 40 per cent aggregate in BA/BSc with immediate effect. Now at BA/BSc level, 33 marks out of 100 will be required to pass each paper.

The decision was taken after thorough discussion and arguments in the meeting. Controller Examinations Prof Zahid Kareem had requested the Academic Council for this relaxation in light of a continuous feedback of the main stakeholders (candidates) and to do away with the confusion.

The meeting also decided that an optional subject will be considered at par with other subjects in BA examination. Failing candidate in the optional subject will be required to qualify in the supplementary examination. This amendment will take effect from Annual Examination 2011.

The meeting also decided that MA/MSc Annual Examination Part-I & Part-II would be followed by a supplementary examination, which would take effect from Annual Examination 2009. This will facilitate the failing students of Part-I & Part-II to reappear.

It is noteworthy that earlier no supplementary examination was taken for MA/MSc examinations and the candidates who fail in one or two subjects have to reappear in the next annual examination. Now in order to facilitate such candidates and save their time, the Punjab University Academic Council has decided to start supplementary examinations for such candidates.

Presently, five grace marks are being granted to students either in MA/MSc Part-I or Part-II. The meeting decided to award up to a total of five grace marks by splitting on the basis of candidates requirement in MA/MSc Part-I or in Part-II. The distribution of marks will be carried out by split in subject/division. Vice Chancellor Prof Dr Mujahid Kamran has said that Punjab University administration was very serious to improve the academic standards of the varsity. He said that to ensure this, all possible facilities were being provided to the department concerned. He drew attention of the faculty in this regard. He hoped that the Academic Councils decisions would benefit a large number of the stakeholders and candidates.

PU Vice Chancellor presided over the meeting while Deans of Faculties, Directors of Institutes and Heads of Departments also attended the meeting.

It is pertinent to mention here that students of PU affiliated colleges had been protesting against for what they called unjust and cruel aggregate system of marking over the years. They had also been protesting over non-availability of supplementary exam at MA/MSc level. The decisions will certainly benefit a large number of students who appear in PU exams from varsitys affiliated colleges.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"