Author Topic: Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad spring show aimed at promoting gardening  (Read 2491 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad spring show aimed at promoting gardening

Islamabad:With colourful blooming flowers greeting the advent of spring season in the capital city, an exhibition displaying their various species started here Tuesday at Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU).

The brightly coloured flowers at the university campus not only indicated the arrival of a lively spring season but also seemed to announce the celebration of a new arena in the history of Pakistan in the shape of restoration of deposed judges.

The week long exhibition is aimed at providing a visual delight to the floriculture lovers and is organised by the Horticulture Section of the university that has very dedicatedly arranged a huge variety of flowers according to their sizes, shapes and colours.

The exhibition was formally inaugurated by QAU Vice Chancellor Dr Qasim Jan, who appreciated the staff for conducting such a wonderful display of flowers that has not only attracted visitors through their visual beauty but would also add to valuable information regarding flowers and their various species.

A huge crowd including a large number of female students appeared on the venue to sooth their aesthetic sense by roaming around the exhibition area and gaining useful information regarding the names, types and species of various flowers.

A substantial variety of flowering plants were displayed including Mimalas, Mesembyanthemum, Nemesia, Nicotlana, Pansy Double, Petunia, Poppy, Schizanthus, Statice, Stock, Verbena, Anchusa Antirrninum (tall and small), Arctotis Gazania, Brachycome, Godetia and Gypsophila.

QAU Horticulture Section Incharge Rasheed Khalid told The News that the university has been conducting such exhibitions for the last many years in order to create awareness among the masses regarding the various species of flowers and to also promote among them the hobby of gardening.

Not only the university students but people from adjoining areas also visit the exhibition every year and take interest in the flowers displayed here. Khalid said although the hostels had been vacated in the wake of the long march, yet the number of students, especially female, is very encouraging. We manage to add a large variety of flowers every year in order to make this exhibition more interesting and knowledgeable, he said.

He informed on the occasion that the QAU VC would inaugurate a tree plantation drive on Thursday at the university premises. Saplings of different plants including Sukh Chain will be planted in the campaign, he said and added that 2kg seeds of a Sukh Chain tree could produce one-litre diesel, which comes as a great benefit of this plant. The exhibition will continue till March 25.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"