Author Topic: Book on intellectuals conference 1995  (Read 1655 times)

Offline fizza bano

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +1/-0
Book on intellectuals conference 1995
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:56:40 AM »
Book on intellectuals conference 1995
Islamabad:The book covering all the significant aspects of the International Conference of Intellectuals 1995 is an important document, said Fakhar Zaman, Chairman, Pakistan Academy of Letters.

The book titled ‘International Conference of Writers and Intellectuals 1995’ was launched in a ceremony here.

Fakhar said that the book includes memorable speech by Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Shaheed, Pakistani and foreign delegate’s papers, Islamabad Declaration 1995, delegates profile, delegates handbook, pictures and press coverage which on the whole make this document a historical one.

He praised the efforts by the compiler Dr. Amina Nasir who worked hard for collecting the related papers and information.

The Chairman said that Pakistan Academy of Letters (PAL) organised a four-day International Conference of writers and intellectuals in Islamabad from 30th November to 3rd December in 1995.

The conference was inaugurated by the Prime Minister, Mohtrama Benazir Bhutto. More than 400 delegates from home and abroad took part in its proceedings.

Two awards ‘Quaid-i-Azam International Award’ for literature and ‘Quaid-i-Awam International Award’ for democracy were announced by Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Shaheed on the occasion. The theme of the conference was ‘Literature, Culture and Democracy.’

He said that a translation of the poetry of 14 sufi poets of Pakistan and selection of literature from all Pakistani languages ‘Pakistani Literature’ was published in the six UN languages, as well as in Persian.

Six special issues of quarterly ‘Adabiyat’ were also published on this occasion. The respect for one another’s work, the friendships, and better common understanding that were clearly seen on the occasion were a bonus not foreseen at the planning stage; but these will remain highly valuable.

He said that we have tried to put together all the relevant, available material about that fine event in this volume.The news