Author Topic: Tips and guidance for students aspiring to Study Abroad  (Read 1934 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Tips and guidance for students aspiring to Study Abroad
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
Tips and guidance for students aspiring to Study Abroad
Rawalpindi:09 August:Thousands of Pakistani students proceed to study abroad every year in different countries with major focus on United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, US, EU, Turkey Malaysia, Cyprus, etc. With the growing knowledge of internet and the increasing usage of computers many of them can now seek first hand information with just one click. However it is essential that one understands and translates this vital information to use in the best interest of their visa application for a specific country. Rules and procedures differ from country to country but one thing is clear that most Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries are placing tougher restrictions to protect abuse of their immigration laws through the student visa route. For example United Kingdom, which was the most sought after destination during the past many years has brought about radical changes in their border control regulations, particularly with the student visa now called Tier-4. Likewise other major countries have put in place different rules and regulations such as the student streamline process which is also a point based system.
Since the month of July and August every year is called the season of visa applications in view of the September/Fall start of courses around the world, this correspondent had the opportunity of talking to Mr. Syed Abidi who has been working for more than 22 years as an international education expert. He is a recipient of Tamgha e Imtiaz and a regular columnist of Daily Jang and The NEWS to answer a few questions for the guidance and help to our student community who are aspiring to study abroad or confused about the process of visa application.
Q. In your opinion what is the first most important factor a student should consider when applying for a student visa?
A. In my opinion the most crucial factor is to understand the concept and ask yourself; Am I a GENUNIE student? What is the purpose? Am I intending to go only for studies?
Q. We continuously hear about the changes that take place in student visa rules especially for counties like UK, Australia, Canada, etc.
Why is this happening? Is it particularly for Pakistani students?

A. Every country has a right to protect its borders and to allow legitimate and bona fide persons in their country. Following the 9/11 incident all these countries you mentioned realized that the student visa route was being misused and abused in the context of illegal immigration following which these countries made intensive changes in their student visa rules. However the imposition of these rules does not affect genuine students at all, in fact genuine and potential students find it more simple and easy to apply for visa now.

Q. If we begin with UK student visa, can you give us some guidelines for our students and readers e.g. what they should or shouldn’t do while making a visa application.

A. Yes, the UK student visa is called the Tier-4 (General). All students over the age of 16 years can apply for this visa. This visa is based on 40 points in total to qualify technically; 30 points are allocated for academic eligibility which means that you are issued with a valid Confirmation of Acceptance (CAS) for studies in the UK from a fully licensed Tier-4 sponsor, the remaining 10 points are allocated to you on providing evidence that you can cover your tuition fee and monthly living costs/maintenance funds during your studies.

All students who wish to study in UK should consider or choose the institution very carefully as the UKVI has registered all UK institutions, private or public, under 2 main categories; trusted and highly trusted sponsors. I would recommend they chose HTS institutes for their studies. Having achieved all these points and being in receipt of CAS they are all set to submit their visa application which has now been made online. However before they do that they must ensure that they are in possession of the paperwork which was used as evidence for their CAS. Normally this includes

* Original academic certificates/degrees

* A TB clearance certificate issued by an International Organisation for Migration (IOM) authorized clinic

* Original bank statements covering the cost of studies as above from a recognize bank (UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) approval list)

Q. I have heard that students are being interviewed in Pakistan for UK student visa. This was not the practice before. Is that true?

A. Yes, since more than a year now all students applying for student visa are subject to an interview by Entry Clearance Officer (ECO), initially on Skype on the day of the submission of the application.

But they may also be asked to attend for a physical interview at the British High Commission (BHC) Islamabad if required.

Q. Can you tell us for the sake of our students what is this interview about and some tips to prepare?

A. If you are a genuine and potential student seeking entry to UKVI trusted or Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) institution and you have received a CAS you should not worry too much. The interview is basically to determine your genuinety and whether or not you can demonstrate the knowledge, information and reasons of proceeding to UK and to the chosen institution along with your plans. The Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) only wants to verify that he is allowing a genuine student to enter UK and that’s all.

Q. In case the UK student visa is refused is there any appeals or the rejection is final?

A. No, certainly not. If the student feels and is confident that the rejection is not a fair decision and the ECO has not taken the full evidence in account when refusing the visa application you can apply for the administrative review.

Q. What is the current UK student visa fee?

A. Depending on the exchange rate it varies. Currently it is £ 310 and

is paid directly online.

Q. Should a student use an agent or advisor for the purpose of filing Tier-4 student visa?

A. Usually students apply for admission either directly or through a university representative duly authorized. They should help the students in filing visa application. However the student should be careful while choosing agents or representatives and only use such agencies after verifying the repute and track record. Most of the universities have clearly indicated on their website the details of their authorized representatives. I would strictly warn students not to make payments through agents that are not qualified to do so or pay hefty sums to agents for visa applications.

Q. My next question is regarding the Australian student visa. Can you give me the brief salient features?

A. The new Australian student visa is called the Streamlined Visa Process (SVP). Under this process all students planning to study in Australia for a full time higher education course can apply. Again the students must ensure that they choose an institute which is approved and eligible education provider and partner under the migration regulation 1994, under sub clause 573 and 574. When applying for this visa you must have a Confirmation of Enrollment (COE) with a university or non university higher education provider participating in the SVP arrangement for Bachelors, Masters, PhD and non award study abroad programmes. Students should be careful if they wish to combine a non award study programme with any primary courses in which case they may not be eligible to use the SVP but shall be assessed according to the applicable assessment level. The following documents are required to secure COE and subsequently apply for student visas under SVP:

* Original academic certificates/degrees used to receive offer letter and COE

* Original bank statements covering the cost of studies

Q. Will I be interviewed for Australian visa too?

A. Normally No, if all your documents are in order and you have your COE in your hand.

Q. The students applying to Canada are complaining about late visa processing. Some of the students that I met have not heard for over 8 weeks from the Canadian High Commission. What is the process and what is the time scale required?

A. Usually we advise students aspiring to go to North America or USA to apply as early as 3 to 4 months to ensure they keep the timeline especially for the Fall/September intake. It is true that the Canadian visa section takes at least 4 to 10 weeks to respond. Some cases may take even longer due to investigations. You don’t need a visa interview for Canada and the following check list will serve as a guideline for students:

* All original academic and identification documents

* SAT or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)/ Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) where applicable.

* Proof of English as International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Test of English a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

* Letter of acceptance from a licensed Canadian institute

* Proof of funds covering tuition fee and living expenses for first year at the least

Q. Anything you would like to say to our students aspiring to go abroad based on your experience and expertise and can they contact you?

A. My advice to the student community is to ensure that you have comprehensively looked at all the pros and cons of your study plans and the chosen destination, university and courses should match your career objectives. Never depend on supporting yourself with jobs while studying as this may not happen all the times and please select your advisor or consultant based on their repute and track record. Students are more than welcome to write to me on the following email if they have questions.s.abidi@janggroup.com.pk.The news.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"

Offline hamnajain

• My Points +0/-0
Re: Tips and guidance for students aspiring to Study Abroad
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
Studying abroad is a dream for every student. We all know that education plays a major role in ones life. Everything, your future life is depended on what you choose to do now. Plan and research well. First decide which country you want to study in. Different countries will have different educational environment. Choose the place with the best environment and facility. 

Next, choose the best university with good scope in future. My friend is now doing her Doctor of Business Administration from a reputed university named University Of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) https://www.uowdubai.ac.ae The facilities available there is commendable. UOWD is an ideal choice for overseas students looking for an internationally accredited degree and also support the visa process for non-resident students who wish to enrol in a full-time study program.

Offline aliahmadtuff

• My Points +0/-0
  • Advance Materials Engineer
    • The University of Faisalabad
Re: Tips and guidance for students aspiring to Study Abroad
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
Very useful information about the scholarship. You can also visit karachi news online for more information.
Ali Ahmad is the passionate Content writer who has successfully published 200+ well-researched articles for eminent news publishers and news aggregators.