Author Topic: Students force cancellation of exams at University of Karachi  (Read 1164 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Students force cancellation of exams at University of Karachi

Karachi:Student activists of a sectarian party forced the cancellation of the ongoing examinations of BS at the University of Karachi (KU) and did not allow teachers and students to attend classes on Wednesday.

The atmosphere at KU remained that of fear and disgust and questions were asked by the teachers and students about the role of the Rangers who were hardly visible during any unruly action by the students.

The students belonging to the Imamia Students Organisation (ISO) restored to forced closure of the ongoing exams and classes after some graffiti in the Arts Lobby and Dr Mahmood Hussain Library reportedly hurt their sentiments.

A former ISO president Zahid Hussain told The News that his organisation had approached the KU administration for investigation and apprehension of the offenders but there was no action from them. The ISO students gathered near the Central Cafeteria and after some fiery speeches it was decided to force the cancellation of the examinations.

This correspondent was sitting in the room of a chairperson of a department in the Arts Faculty when one of the staff members of the department rushed in telling the chairperson that he was closing her door from outside because it was not safe to leave the door opened. The pale face of the chairperson spoke volumes of her trauma and the lack of safety of the teachers and the common students.

Campus Security Advisor Dr Khalid Iraqi said that the wall chalking was done around 10:30 pm Sunday. I ordered the erasing of the offensive writings and suspended the night shift in charge Havaldar Rustam of the KU Security for his negligence. Monday passed peacefully, and Tuesday was a holiday. Student Adviser Dr Tanweer Khalid tried to talk to the students from 8:30 am but the students evaded her, he said. I spoke to Col Shahid, Wing Commander at KU and he informed me that he had his force ready to take action if the situation deteriorates.

Dr Iraqi said that the students met the vice chancellor at 4 pm. Dr Tanweer Khalid was also present in the meeting. The VC assured the students that action would be taken against the perpetrators of the crime and the students went away, satisfied. The VC has constituted a three-member committee, consisting Dr Rafeeq Alam Khan, Dr Zahida Maqsood and Dr Baqir Naqvi, to investigate and report to him within one week.

Dr Moonis Ahmar, Chairman of the Department of International Relations (IR) expressed dismay over the incident that exposed the fragility of the university security set up and the failure of the university writ. He said that he was to conduct an examination for the BS Third Year students when some rowdy students came and asked that the examination should not be conducted. There was no security and he called the Rangers and four of them came but returned saying they were outnumbered by the marauding students. I tried to conduct the examinations, distributed answer scripts and question papers to the students but more ISO activists turned up, about 25 to 30 in number and harassed the examinees, majority of them females. We had no other option but to cancel the examinations. I have written to the VC about the incident. It is pathetic. The university has crumbled, he said dejectedly.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"